A diet which is high in fibre, low in fat with adequate proteins, carbohydrate, vitamins and minerals is suitable for people with diabetes.
- Avoid sugars and sweets
- Maintain regular meal timings
- Take 3 meals with 1-2 healthy snacks in between
- Do not skip meals or undertake fasting
- Have control over cereals and fat intake
- Include food from all groups.Eat variety of foods to ensure a balanced diet.
- Fill half the plate with vegetables, quarter with protein foods and the rest with cereals.
- Prefer boiled, steamed, grilled or baked foods over fried ones.
- Eat plenty of vegetables
- Ensure moderate use of edible oils and animal foods and very less use of ghee, butter and vanaspati
- Chew your food slowly.
- Drink at least 8 – 10 glasses water everyday.
- Do not shop when you are hungry. You could be tempted to buy oily and fried foods.
- Choose healthy starters like soups and salads while dining out.
- Carry a fruit or low calorie high fiber biscuits while travelling.
- Include 1 fruit per day as snack instead of taking with meal.
- Avoid over eating in general or particular foods.
- Reduce added salt and watch out for invisible salt in foods. Foods such as pickles, savories, papads etc add invisible salt to your diet.
- Choose low fat foods and cook with less of fats and oils.
- Limit use of alcohol.
- Do brisk walking for 30 minutes a day
- Healthy diet, regular exercise and positive attitude will lead towards a better life.
Cereals and starchy food:
Can include regularly: Whole grains and Whole grain products- Par Boiled Rice, Steamed Rice, Idlies, Phulkas, Chapattis, Brown Bread, Ragi, Roti, (Jowar/Maize), Popcorn, Red Rice Flakes, Multigrain Bread, Wheat Rava, Puffed rice with vegetable.
Restirct: Maida (Refined Wheat Flour), Vermicelli, White Bread, Potato, Tapioca, Noodles, Corn Flakes Porridges, Plain Puffed Rice, White Rice Flakes.
Avoid: Parota, Poori, Sweetened Breakfast Cereals, Butter Naan, Biryani and Fried Rice.
Can include regulary: All Dhals, Variety of Sundals (Boiled Grams), Sambar, Plain Cooked Dhal, Besan Roti, Sprouted Whole grams, Roasted Grams and Roasted Bengal gram dhal.
Restrict: Dhals with Ghee, Deep fried Pulses and Dhal preparations, Dhal Makhani (Dal with butter/cream).
Leafy Vegetables and other Vegetables:
Can include regularly: Salads, Clear vegetable soups, Steamed or Boiled Vegetables, Cooked Vegetable (With minimum Oil).
Restrict: Cream Soups, Rooty vegetables Juices (Eg. Carrot), Vegetables Pakoras, Vegetable Curries with excess oil/coconut milk, Deep fried vegetables.
Can include regularly: Orange, sweet lime, Guava, Apple, Papaya, Watermelon, Jamun Fruit.
Restrict: Unsweetened fruit juices, Fruit salads with ice cream, Banana,Sapota, Seethaphal, Mango, Jack Fruit.
Avoid: Sweetened fruit juices, Fruit based desserts.
Can include regularly: Cow’s milk, Toned Milk (<3% Fat), Skimmed milk, Curds, Thin Buttermilk and Tofu.
Restrict: Panner, Cheese, Unsweetened Flavoured Milk and Milk shakes.
Avoid: Whole milk, Condensed milk, Sweetened milkshakes, Milk based sweets, Payasam, Ice creams
Non Vegetarian foods:
Can include regularly: Fish (Grilled, Curry or Gravy, Baked steamed), Chicken (de-skinned curry, tandorri), Egg (egg white omelette or scrambled).
Restrict: Fried Fish/Chicken, Butter Chicken, Mutton (fat trimmed), Egg yolk, Prawns, Shrimps, Crab, Oysters.
Avoid: Pork, Beef, Organ Meat (Liver, Brain).
Oils and Nuts:
Can include regularly: Sunflower oil, Safflower oil, Groundnut oil, Gingelly oil, Soybean oil, Olive oil, Boiled or Roasted almonds, Peanuts, Cashew nuts, Walnuts (Handful).
Restrict: Coconut in chutney and curry preparation, salted and fried nuts, Dried coconut, Coconut oil, Ghee, Butter, Vanaspathi, Margarine.
Avoid: Jaggery, Sweets, Honey, Confectionaries, Chocolates, Soft Drinks, Sugarcane Juice, Sugar syrups, Glucose, Sweetened health drinks and beverages.
Restrict: Vadai, Bonda, Bajji, Potato Chips, Pickles and Papads, Cakes, Pastries, Mixture/Namkeen, Deep fried foods, etc.
How to eat in a Healthy Way:
Food Guide Pyramid:
Healthy Snack options:
- Sprouts/Boiled legumes (with grated carrot/radish and lime juice)
- Murmura with roasted Bengal gram, peas, onions, tomatoes, etc
- Roasted channa/peas – 1 cup
- Badam and walnuts - fistful
- Coffee/tea/low fat milk – 1 cup
- Avoid biscuits of any type as the ingredients will include refined wheat flour and hydrogenated fat.
Fruits in Diet:
- Take fruits in limited portion sizes. For example, a small fruit or half of big or one cup of chopped fruit at a time.
- Choose a variety of fruits on day-to –day basis.
- Take fruits as a snack rather than along with a meal.
- Choose whole fruit and not fruit juices.